News and Events
- Have your say on the next South Eastern franchise
TLC sets outs the key priorities for the new franchise and encourages its members and supporters to the respond to the Department for Transport's consultation.
- Department for Transport abandons plans for devolution to TfL
TLC welcomes the decision to retain a single franchise for rail services in Kent, with potential for further integration been trains and track.
- Eurostar to cut services from Ashford International from December 2016
Eurostar reduces the number of services between Ashford and Paris because its new trains cannot call at Ashford.
- Will Cannon Street passengers be out of pocket from September 2016?
TLC expresses concern at the illogical and unfair decision not to permit Southeastern ticket holders to travel on the Tube between London Bridge and Bank.
- New ticket office opens at Tonbridge Station
With works completed to provide new ticket windows at Tonbridge, TLC looks forward to seeing the single line queuing system in action.
- Should Southeastern retain its franchise?
TLC responds to calls for Southeastern to be sacked following severe disruption to services at the start of 2016.
- Services are amended over the Christmas and New Year period
As part of the work to rebuild London Bridge there will be no services to Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Waterloo East or London Bridge until Monday 4th January 2016.
- TLC responds to London Assembly consultation on "devolution" of rail services
TLC critically examines the Mayor of London's proposals to take further control of rail services in the London region, including Southeastern metro services to Sevenoaks.
- Southeastern Managing Director joins TLC to experience regular commute home
TLC took the opportunity to question Southeastern Managing Director David Statham on some key issues when he joined us on the 18:20 from Charing Cross to Tonbridge on 16th April 2015.
- TLC asks for passenger feedback as London Bridge works hit Southeastern
With a new timetable in place for the rebuilding of London Bridge station, TLC highlights what's gone well and what the remaining issues are for passengers.
- TLC reveals Tonbridge's least punctual train service
TLC investigates which trains from our local stations are most liable to run late, looking at Network Rail data made newly available on the internet.
- TLC issues press release on car parking at Tonbridge station
TLC expresses concern at the temporary loss of 222 parking spaces at Tonbridge station while a new deck is built to increase the number of spaces in the longer term.
- TLC responds to Southeastern consultation on the December 2014 timetable
From early in 2015 services will be severely disrupted by the rebuilding of London Bridge station, so TLC has been fighting for the best possible service during this period.
- TLC quoted by Courier in article on high rail fares
In an article comparing local train fares with those in other parts of the country, the Kent and Sussex Courier publishes a quote from TLC on the high cost of rail travel.
- TLC urges passengers to claim compensation for disruption
Following several instances of delays and cancellations on our line, TLC reminds passengers to claim compensation under the Delay Repay scheme.
- Some trains from Tonbridge will depart early during the leaf fall season
Betweeen Monday 30th September 2013 and Friday 6th December 2013 some early morning trains from Tonbridge are retimed to depart to earlier than usual.
- TLC makes the case for changes to bus stops in central Tonbridge
TLC has submitted proposals to change bus stopping patterns in the centre of Tonbridge, to make life easier for passengers travelling to the hospital and elsewhere.
- TLC questions Southeastern at Kent Rail Summit
At a recent meeting at Kent Council Council, TLC took the opportunity to question Southeastern
on the nature of the service that will run during the rebuilding of London Bridge station.
- Where next for the South Eastern franchise?
There is currently uncertainly about the future of rail franchising, including the process of re-letting our local rail franchise.
However, TLC's earlier submission to the Department for Transport remains valid.
- DfT consultation on fares
TLC will be responding to the DfT Rail fares and ticketing review. We encourage our members to send comments to the DfT too. Read more...
- Partial victory for TLC in fight for fair fares: The cost of an annual season ticket between Tonbridge and London rose by 5.9%. This was a partial victory for TLC lobbying as the minimum rise was predicted to be 8% and the worst case scenario by 13%. Read more about our activities in 2011 to lobby for cheaper rail fares...
- TLC fighting for Boxing Day train service:
TLC have a new campaign to get Boxing Day train service reinstated for West Kent. Read more...
- Private Eye publishes TLC letter:
The Christmas edition of Private Eye published a TLC letter concerning the bizarre reasons why Southeastern are unable to provide train travel on Boxing Day. Read more...
- TMBC lobbying for cheaper rail fares:
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council have joined TLC in lobbying for cheaper rail fares. Read more...
- TLC fears a season ticket will cost £4,788 by 2014: Research by Tonbridge Line Commuters suggests that if train fares increase at their current rate then a season ticket between Tonbridge and London will cost £4,788 by 2014. Read more...
- Fair Fares Now Petition: TLC will be canvassing at Tonbridge and Hildenborough stations as part of the Fair Fares Now campaign organised by the Campaign for Better Transport. Read more...
- Tonbridge Station major refurbishment due in Autumn
Work is set to start in early September to provide Tonbridge Station with a major refurbishment
- TLC using Freedom of Information Act to investigate 11.8% fare increases of 2011. TLC have used a Freedom of Information Act request against the DfT to investigate how the average season ticket fare increase from Kent stations was 11.8% rather than the allowed 7.8%. Read more...
- TLC members survey 2010 - results: 67 members responded to the TLC survey 2010. Read a summary of the results. Members can also download the full 25 page report.
- TLC research suggests annual fare increases in 2011 of 11.8% rather than 7.8%: TLC have undertaken reasearch into the 2011 season ticket fare increases. In this research of 32 SET stations the average season ticket fare increase was 11.8%, far higher than the 7.8% expected. Read more and download the report
- TLC Snow Performance Report: TLC have written a report summarising complaints, good points, and suggestions following the awful performance of the rail network in the recent snow disription - download the report
- Kent Local Transport Plan 2011 - 2016: West Kent is a low priority. Kent County Council have released their proposed local transport plan for Kent from 2011 to 2016. West Kent is deemed to be a low priority in comparison with North Kent, Thanet & Ashford
- AGM:Tonbridge Line Commuters usually holds it AGM on a in May in Tonbridge.
- Travel Topics: Every 6 months, TLC publish and post their magazine, "Travel Topics", to all members. Travel Topics are also available online in PDF format. Please note that the most recent editions are only available to members.